Tuesday, November 1, 2011

a quiet end

once upon a time
i was a slave to the minimum wage
i needed books for school
my budget couldn't afford a page
a gun in one hand
a uniform in the other
i would be lying to say
it would be hard to stray
to call in sick
and get money the ski mask way
be another stick up kid on the street
the nightmare of America
her own children
born in the mud beneath her feet
alas i punch in and slaved away
yet another day
aging a year every day
my hands raw
coming home with new burns
and old problems
and under my mattress
a new way to solve them
it calls to me while i sleep
intriguing how 5 pounds of steel
could change my tax bracket
without fail
i shake away its hold
and sell my self to a franchise
to sell french fries to the obese
when i know a vacant fridge awaits
but i know what can make it cease
no more clocking in
no more peace
the night comes as my cover
out to pray on dreams
a target
a quick plan
blue lights
red lights
a failed robbery
a vision of a cell
hell in the rear view mirror
the shedding of fear
a screaming bullet
a quiet end

No comments:

Post a Comment